Keeping facility plans up-to-date can be difficult. Often, they get lost in day-to-day duties, but maintaining this information is incredibly important. With high real estate costs, understanding how an office space is utilized allows companies to analyze the space and make accurate decisions about their work environments.
Before beginning, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the facilities team’s expectations and needs. This feedback should be used to determine which information is needed and how it should be tracked. After those guidelines have been established, we recommend incorporating these five tips for keeping facility plans up-to-date.
- Have a plan for what triggers an update. For example, it may be resizing a private office or reconfiguring workstations. Choose the instances that make the most sense for your workplace.
- Determine if you have reliable plans to begin with. That way, you won’t have to start from scratch before making a change.
- Be sure you have a designer who understands space planning. Information about how the space is being utilized can be incorporated into the drawings. However, this depends on a company’s personal preference. Some organizations want furniture information included, while others might list the name of the person, phone extension and other details.
- Publish the changes and give all necessary parties access to them. Then, don’t forget to notify your real estate facility team to let them know it’s available and current.
- Follow your plan and perform it regularly, so documents don’t become outdated.
Find out how we can help you keep your plans up to date. Contact us at: ryan (at) fsikc (dot) com or 913-341-1529.